June 27, 2010

Therapy

Have you ever had one of those days? Where everything and everybody just seems to rub you the wrong way? I’m having one of those days.

I think what really drives me crazy about those kind of days is just how trivial they are. When I’m in a funky sort of mood, it’s usually not the result of anything big, just the buildup of little annoyances. Things like one of my recipe submissions for a food website being rejected. Or how hot it is outside and the fact that my air conditioning will never be cold enough. Perhaps it’s how my house all of a sudden feels cramped and cluttered, even though nothing has changed since yesterday. Maybe it’s because my family, who I get along with beautifully 95% of the time, seems to be taking over every space that I want to be in…alone. My point-as I’m sure you’ve deduced by now, being the clever readers that you are-is that I’m in a bad mood.

A stifled, uncomfortable, feels-like-I’m-wearing-jeans-that-are-two-sizes-too-small bad mood.

Thankfully, there’s a way to lighten the weight of such a mood.

Cooking.

Now I realize that preparing a meal is probably the opposite of what many of you would call “stress relief”, but hear me out. For me, cooking is therapy. Something about working with my hands and focusing my attention on a task does wonders for me. When I haven’t cooked for several days, I get antsy and moody and stressed. It’s my release.

Seeing as I wasn’t planning on cooking anything big, today’s recipe is pretty easy and uses the leftover spinach risotto from the previous recipe post.

It’s a little dish that I like to call “Risotto Cakes”.

First, place the leftover risotto in a large bowl and mix with Parmesan cheese.


Pretty much anything can be improved with cheese. It’s a fact.

In a separate bowl (or on a paper plate if you’re like me and don’t want to dirty up a bunch of dishes), mix together panko breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme, and basil.

They’re so deliciously crunchy!

In another bowl, beat two eggs.

I think you can guess how this all comes together.

Now, using your hands, form the risotto into medium-sized balls.

I’m sorry, but regular-colored risotto just isn’t the same anymore.

Roll them one-by-one in the egg and then roll them in the panko mixture.

Paper plates are a cook’s best friend…as long as you keep them away from the stove.

Melt butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.

I can feel my mood lifting by the second.

Place the risotto in the pan and gently flatten with a spatula to give them that cakey look.

Aren’t they beautiful?

Cook for a few minutes and then flip.

Ohhh man.

After a bit more browning on that side, place them on a plate and cover with foil while you work on the rest. Depending on the size of the cakes, you’ll end up with about six servings of two risotto cakes each.

And there you have it! Stress gone and a yummy snack!

The crunch of the panko on the outside with the velvety-smooth risotto on the inside is unbelievable.


Risotto Cakes

Recipe by Me!

Printable Recipe


2 cups Risotto

¼ cup Parmesan Cheese

1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs

¼ teaspoon each dried Oregano, Thyme, and Basil

2 Eggs, beaten to blend

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

1 tablespoon Butter


In a medium bowl, stir the risotto and Parmesan cheese to blend. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme, and basil. Finally, in yet another bowl beat the two eggs.

Quick Tip: To save dishes, the breadcrumb mixture can be done in a paper bowl or on a paper plate.

Using your hands, form the risotto into medium-sized balls. With one hand, roll them in the egg, one by one. With the other hand, roll them in the breadcrumb mixture and then place them on a plate.

Melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place the risotto in the pan and gently flatten with a spatula. Cook for about 3 minutes and then flip, cooking for another 2-3 minutes longer. Cook for more or less time based on how dark and crispy you like them.

Using a spatula, remove risotto cakes from pan and place on a plate, covering them with aluminum foil to keep them warm while you work on the next batch in the pan.

Once all the risotto cakes are cooked, serve immediately.

5 comments:

  1. those are beautiful risotto cakes! wow the colours are just fantastic! I know what you mean about having a bad day but things always get better somehow.....hope tomorrow is a better day!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, Dennis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 28, 2010

    I would recommend a healthy dose of Marx Bros. walking and jaunty songs from the '20s...or an episode of Merlin. Merlin is, honestly, gut-wrenchingly adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are most excellent suggestions! Although, I find Merlin's cuteness slightly distressing...it makes my heart go squish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made these today, and they were delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! By leaving a comment, you officially become one of my favorite people. Mwah! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...