July 11, 2010

I Love This Stuff

I know it’s not particularly gourmet, being instant noodles, but this Mi Goreng Satay is fast becoming my new obsession. Being an instant ramen fanatic for many years, it’s really no surprise that my love for this culinary delight has blossomed so quickly.

Speaking of instant ramen reminds me of my days back in elementary school, when the kids would bring packages of it for snack time, first munching on the dry, crunchy noodles and then downing the MSG-laden spice packet afterwards.

Sometimes I worry about my generation.

Where was I?

Oh yes, noodles. Anyway, these noodles are a class above your everyday ramen, just based on the seasonings alone. First, there are the three tiny packages of seasoned oil, sweet soy sauce, and crispy onions.

I promise I’ll be back to posting about food that has culinary merit very soon.

Then there’s the powder seasoning-which kinda smells like a mixture of seasoned salt and coconut-and a packet of really spicy chili powder.

I know that the seasoned salt/coconut thing sounds gross, but trust me, it’s not.

While the noodles boil, you mix all the above accoutrement in the bottom of a bowl.

There’s so much flavor in that little bowl of seasonings.

Then I like to add a bit of the pasta water.

I think it helps the seasonings coat the noodles.

In order to be somewhat healthy, I like to quickly sauté some thinly sliced zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms to add to the noodles.

And there you have it! A yummy little lunch, full of complex, beefy flavor that will make you smile with glee.

Or maybe that’s just me?

7 comments:

  1. I love Mi Goreng, too!!! My sister lives in Brunei and whenever she would come and visit us (when I was still living in Manila) she would always take home packs and packs of Mi Goreng. My nieces and nephews love it as a noodle soup without the spices. But I love it just the way you made it here. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I've just discovered Mi Goreng and my grocery store has about twelve or so other kinds of the stuff, so I'm very very happy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sobs*
    I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *blinks back tears* Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love how you dressed up the noodles. I like to add ramen noodles for crunch to a cabbage salad - then throw away the seasonings. The thinly sliced zucchini is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Claudia! That's a cool idea to add the noodles to a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This. is why I'm proud to be Indonesian hahahah ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! By leaving a comment, you officially become one of my favorite people. Mwah! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...